January 14, 2016

Yesterday we left Boquete. The long road up to Bocas Del Toro was windy and narrow, and filled with pot holes. After four or so hours we made a right turn instead of left and arrived at Chirique Grande. A quick drive through and turn around we were back on track an heading to Almarante - then a half hour boat ride to the island of Bocas Del Toro. 



In our travels we've never made reservations at the hotels. And yet, we've never had trouble finding rooms. This is the view from our room in Bocas.










And this is our hotel..... our room is the one on the right at the end of the balcony.




Bocas Del Toro means 'Mouth of the Bull" and is comprised of the Mainland and nine main islands off the Caribbean coast of Panama.




Bocas Town is a hub for dining, shopping and nightlife, with reggae music emanating from open air bars. 










We visited the different islands today with Don Camilo, the tour guide from one of the local tour companies. We spent the better part of the day on the water.......   Star Fish Island was the first of the islands. 








Along the way we came across this wonderful little set up- A Canadian from Montreal bought this island and until he builds his dream house on it this is how he and his girlfriend spend their days. Not too shabby!!!









We did some snorkelling..... and when I say we I really mean it.  My first time and if you know me this is quite a feat. But here I am ready to go.. and just in case you still don't believe I did this - the next picture shows both myself and Michel. 






It was great. I never thought I would be able to do it, but now I can scratch that off my bucket list.  (It wasn't even on my bucket list)



This here is a sloth - they live on this island that is now called "Sloth Island" - go figure!!

Last event for this day was a visit to Red Frog Beach on Red Frong Island. Don't know why it's called that as we didn't see any red frogs. 

The beach was beautiful and the surf was awesome. Refreshing and warm, nice big waves crashing the shores.  We enjoyed playing in the surf, then relaxing on the beach under a nice palm tree.


That took care of our day. Lots of fresh air and sunshine.
dinner later at Bocas Bamboo for the best burgers on the island.




No comments: