December 7, 2013

Welcome to Castries, St. Lucia
With a population of 65,000; Castries is the capital and largest city of St. Lucia. Castries is a port city. Shoppers flock to the city's dozens of stores and to Castries Market for fruits, vegetables and handicrafts.

We had some wicked rain this morning, and decided to wait it out aboard before heading into the city.
Just sharing some of the beauty. Love the waves of the ocean. And the palm trees too!
 

 Our plan here in St. Lucia was to take part in the under walk - the SeaTrek Adventure  http://www.coxcoltd.com/sea-adventures/sea-trek.php
Here we are getting ready. (Coco Puff, our guide, Rich, Myself, Michel)
Tina decided to opt out of the adventure.
If it weren't for her we would not have any pictures.
Thank You TINA!!
Anyone who knows me, knows that snorkeling is just too scary for me. I just cannot put my face in the water. So when we saw this adventure on Amazing Race one time - it was a no-brainer!! (lol) For me that is! 
These are the helmets we wore.
They weigh 70 lbs. each and they sit right on your shoulders.
She (Coco Puff) reassured me the air that is circulated into the helmet keeps the water out.... we'll see??

 
We're in the water, the guides are getting ready to put on those heavy helmets.
I must say, I was a little nervous.
 
Here we are all hooked up to our air tanks (they float on top of the water).
She was right - no water was coming into the helmet. YAY - I just might make it.!
The first half of the 'walk' it was hard for me to not hyperventilate.
The last half of the walk, I started to relax and enjoy it, although I was holding Michel's hand and praying he wouldn't let go while he was jumping up and down - his feet barely touched the sea floor.  
 
Whew!! We got through it. The only bad thing about this adventure was that the water was very murky from the rain earlier in the day. There wasn't very much to see in the way of sea life. BUT - that being said, it was a great adventure and I'd do it again.
 

No comments: