December30,2012


We visited a tour company the other day. They had airboat tours, canoe trips and almost any kind of tour you can imagine to see this area. They are an independent company but still located within the Preserve. We didn't do a tour as such, but they also have a 'petting zoo' of sorts located in the back of their building.  Here is Michel holding a baby alligator. It sure was a cute little thing - hard to believe it will grow into a huge, menacing creature!! But we have learned that they usually won't bother you, if you don't feed them!!!



Michel made friends with a couple of birds - Here he is 'talking' to a cockatoo.

Funny thing is, you'd almost think they were carrying on a conversation!!







Then there was this huge parrot. He had such beautiful coloring.... Michel said he was very heavy and his claws were quite sharp.

(Reminds me of a parrot/pirate joke) ha! ha!







This is more my speed -
I'm not a 'bird' person, so as much as the cockatoo wanted me to "hold" him, I just couldn't do it....
and I've never had the urge to hold a reptile
But I was A-Okay in the pen with the turtle... just as long as he didn't think my red-painted toenails were strawberries!!


There were 3 or 4 cages of snakes too, pythons - big ones!! Nobody asked to hold any one of them that's for sure! 

Point of Interest:  Pythons are not indigenous to Florida (I never knew that) - they began as pets, and when they got too large the pet owners released them into the swampy areas of Florida. They made the Everglades their home and began reproducing. Now they are over-populated. In fact there is 'open season' in January to hunt and kill pythons!! 


No comments: